Hello to all my powerful women! In case you aren’t aware, today is International Women’s Day and now is more important than ever to celebrate all things about womanhood! Women are really beautiful, incredible goddesses when you think about all we can do. Think about it…what in the world would we do without our mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends or any other influential women in our lives? I personally can say I owe an enormous amount to the women in my life and you probably feel the same way too.
Though we need to celebrate these incredible people and show them how much we love, respect and value them, International Womens day is greater than giving a flower to a woman in your life to show how much you love them. A major part of womens day deals with the struggles that women globally have gone though to gain equal rights and a reminder of how far we still have left to go. So let us recognize each other’s achievements but acknowledge the challenges that ‘WE’ women continue to face daily. Education, health, safety, and economic security remain big challenges that women around the world are still facing each and every day. But, there is something that YOU can do! Yes, you! Here are a few things you can do today and year-round to support Womens Day!
- Learn the history of International Women’s Day and discover the true importance of this particular day.
- Raise Awareness about the struggles women face worldwide while also honoring the achievements of women who have paved the way to forge a better working world—a more gender inclusive world. You can help tell the world why equal rights are important by joining the online conversation and using the hashtag #BeBoldForChange across your social media channels.
- Donate! There is no shortage of organizations and charities that work daily to help women in your community and around the world. Though you can make monetary donations to established organizations that support women’s rights, you can also donate your time to a cause that supports women and gender inquality. You can start by getting involved at your local women’s shelter. Not only will you be doing your part but it will also be a reminder to you of the difficulties many women still face. Myself and the Remax Elite family are celebrating this day by visiting the girls home right here in Montego Bay, where we will provide support and donations.
- Attend any local Women’s Day march or event in your area
- Celebrate the individual women in your life by showing your support for them in times of need. Grand gestures aren’t necessarily required to show appreciation. Sometimes by just recognizing ones achievements or sharing a simple ‘thank you’ is enough to lift an overworked woman’s spirits.
Okay, Okay! You must be wondering why have I decided to combine International Women’s Day with a photo of myself on a billboard in Times Square, NY, during New York Fashion Week. Oh, you didn’t know?! Yaaaaas! Me! Little ol’ Natasha Lee-Duhaney from MoBay, JAMAICA was recently featured on a HUGE BILLBOARD in the middle of Times Square! Someone pinch me, because I still find it hard to believe.
Wait, where was I? Right…I’m sharing this with you to show you that anything is possible. If someone were to tell me a year ago that my face would be seen by millions of people on a billboard in New York City, I would probably ask them what they’ve been smoking! Heck, if someone told me I would become the Brand Ambassador for an International company I would have probably called them crazy. But here we are and I couldn’t be any more prouder of myself and any more appreciative of all that I have accomplished in the last year, whether big or small.
I remember just how excited I was when Rochelle (Alikay Naturals CEO) hit me up about shooting a ‘Boss Chick’ outfit for their Alikay Naturals campaign. Not only did Rochelle believe I could be her model for the shoot despite me being only 5’4 in height but she also trusted and believed in me to style the entire shoot as well. Fast forward almost one year later and this very same ‘Boss Chick’ look was flashing on a billboard in the middle of Times Square! It was with this push that I started to believe in myself more. So in honor of International Women’s Day I actually want to also celebrate and praise this very inspirational woman for all that she has accomplished while still remaining true to herself.
It is notoriously hard for women to make it to the highest post in any large company and Rochelle Graham-Campbell managed to break this very high glass ceiling. She created her global-multi-million dollar business, Alikay Naturals, using US$100 in tip money from waiting tables. Amazing right??? Her work ethic and the scope of her dreams is what I believe pushed her into becoming the ‘Boss Chick’ behind Alikay Naturals.
We all have the ability to become a leader within our sphers of influence. Nothing is more beautiful than a woman who is committed to inspiring and helping other women to feel empowered in all aspects of life. Her contribution to women empowerment is truly remarkable and after spending time with Rochelle I was reminded why I shouldn’t be afraid to share my voice too. She extended a helping hand to me by helping me believe more in myself and now I want to extend my hand to you.
I am nowhere close to where I want to be in my life but I am remaining focused on my journey and I want you to do the same. Remember your potential is limitless. Today I want to encourage all you girls and ladies to take up the challenge to help break barriers! Let us turn our ‘I cant’s’ into ‘I CAN!’ Let us use today to reflect on the barriers that reman against us women and seek out ways how we CAN take action to overcome them. Sisterhood must be the foundation of any women’s empowerment movement because that very bond will help lead to a unified movement toward positive change for women and girls. Lastly, be the change you wish to see in the world. Feel free to share your tips in the comments section.
“We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
3 Quick Boss Chic Tips
- Be Unapologetically Yourself and do this by embracing yourself and all your flaws. You should be able to do the things you want to do by being yourself. Don’t hide and shy away from the world. Go on girl, you got this! Embrace who you are, be proud of your flaws, inside and out. Confidence Level on 100!
- Stay Focused on your Goals by getting rid of your distractions. As Khaled would say, “Stay away from they”. Take time for you and work on achieving the goals that will make you happiest in life. You deserve it!
- Dress to Impress! This is a fashion blog after all, so you know I had to include this one. Plus, how can you possibly live up to your true potential if you don’t feel your absolute best? In order to believe you’re a boss, you need to look the part of a boss. Key words: ‘Ballin on a Budget’…there is no need to go broke trying to look the part either. Remember that!
As Rochelle always says, ‘feel good, look good, be good.’ Now go on girl…You got this! Talk Soon. Nuff Love, Natasha ♥
Details on my minimal, monochromatic, BOSS CHICK outfit: